Thursday, May 12, 2011

Wednesday May 11, Day 4 In Chile


Today was our first company visit!!! We started off at Bosques del Mauco, which is a mushroom factory; there we got to see how mushrooms are really made. Starting from fermenting all the way to being sealed or canned and finally packaged. The visit started out pretty smelly when we stood outside with all the manure where the mushrooms life first begins. There was one point that I thought I was not going to make it but, as we got to each step in the mushrooms life the smell got better and better till it turned into smelling like a pizza parlor.  
Finally after all that we got in the bus and went to Conservas Centauro, which was my company!  Sadly we arrive at during the lunch break so when we first got into the factory they were not producing anything at the time.  Once inside the owner of the company Mr. Bozzolo gave us some information about his business and all about there product lines, how they manufacture for private labels, types of sealing methods and what products they produce at certain times of the year. For example from December to April they produce canned fruits, most popular peaches but after that they really just stick to prepared meal and tomatoes past. . Julie, Burt and I were extremely interested in everything that was being said and the information we got from asking questions, because due to the fact they are a private company finding information was very tough.
After listen we got to take tour around the factory and see how things would be made by using our imagination due to the fact this is there off-season.  We ended our experience by each getting our own canned tomatoes, which are one of their biggest sellers and some of their new jams they are producing.
On the way back to the University we stopped at this empanada place called Delciosos. There we all got really good empanada, one of mine was filled with oregano, cheese and tomatoes, while the other one was cheese and black olives.
Once back at the University we finished up our lecture on Chilean Culture with Mimo. In one of lecture we got to learn about natural disaster in Chile. I found that to be extremely interesting but made me rather paranoid for about 15 minutes, when I though that it could occur at anytime on my trip.  The power points Mimo gave were really good and used help videos clips to keep us all engaged and learn.
To finish up our long day we ended the day with salsa lessons.  I tripled over my feet once or twice, but I am really starting to get down the moves, or so I think. For dinner we had   McDonalds. Yes, being in Chile trying new thing and we go to McDonalds. It wasn’t as bad as I expected but when they got my ordered wrong I was rather upset. But trying to give my order in Spanish, when my Spanish is weak to begin with was kind of an issue in itself.  
After our quick dinner, we were invited to on of our Chilean friend form school’s apartment. It was really nice to see first hand how a college student in Chile lives. We had a really great time all hanging out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment